Thursday 29 May 2014

Well, Well...Introducing the Disney Store's Maleficent

Growing up, Sleeping Beauty was one of my favourite Disney movies, and Maleficent was one of my favourite villains. She turns into a dragon! Sure, she's the Mistress of All Evil, but who hasn't wished they could turn into a dragon at one time or another, right? When I heard they were doing a live-action movie about Maleficent movie, I had mixed feelings, but as soon as we started seeing images of Angelina Jolie as Maleficent, I was definitely on the way to being completely sold. She looks gorgeous in the film, striking and just a bit spooky, and basically perfect, and I knew well before seeing the movie that I was going to need a doll version of her.

And the Disney Store didn't let me down! I heard that she was starting to be found at Disney Stores, and conveniently, happened to be near the closest Disney Store this weekend and was able to pick one up. I'm a bit gun shy about Disney stuff lately, since I still haven't been able to get myself an Elsa doll to go with the Anna doll I got before Christmas, so I didn't want to wait too long to get Maleficent. Though, considering the fact that this doll costs $38.95 in Canada, I doubt they'll be flying off the shelves like the Frozen stuff has! (Speaking of Frozen, my Disney Store had an Olaf bathing suit, and some t-shirts and that was basically it for Frozen stuff. What gives?)


So, does Maleficent live up to her price point and my expectations? Click through to find out!




First, I have to say that her box gave me incredible amounts of trouble trying to get a picture where I was not reflected in the front...and that didn't work out, so hi! The box is really cool though, and Maleficent looks beautiful in it. This is one of those times where I have a moment of hesitation before grabbing my scissors and tearing on in.


This picture lets you see the ravens printed on the side of the box, and gives an idea of the depth of the trees behind her. A lot of though was really put into these boxes, and it's appreciated even if mine will make its way to the recycling bin! Generally, the Disney boxes are fairly easy to get into and free the dolls, and this was generally not too bad, except that Maleficent's dress was tied to the cardboard in a half dozen or so places with the tiniest black plastic ties I've ever seen. The dress was even tied to itself with these little ties! I recommend tiny, careful scissors and bright lights to help you get the doll out without damaging her beautiful outfit.


Once I got her out of the box, I was not disappointed that I decided not to keep her in it! While there's nothing impressive about her body, her face and dress more than make up for it. Also, excuse the pink elastic around her hand that is allowing her to hold her staff, I haven't been able to find clear ones for ages. You gotta do what you gotta do!



So let's start with her face! It is really incredibly striking, and I definitely think it strongly resembles Angelina Jolie in the film. If anything, I think the bone structure is even more pronounced on the doll, giving her a very otherworldly look. The painting on her eyes is also incredibly gorgeous, and makes the doll look very expensive. I with the upper lip was maybe a tad fuller to balance out the lower lip, but overall the look is stunning! It's really fun to play with angles and shadows with a face like this, so many options!




Obviously, she wouldn't be Maleficent without her horns, and the headdress on this doll is pretty amazing. It's molded as a separate piece from the head, but it's permanently attached. It's molded to look like it's made out of twisted fabric, and it has a very dynamic look for a stiff piece of plastic. I love how the horns are asymmetrical, and they really elongate her head, adding to the otherworldly look.


Now, onto Maleficent's dress, which is really pretty incredible. I collect the Disney Store princess dolls, so I'm familiar with the usual fabrics used for their outfits, and let me tell you, this is in a whole other world. Yes, you're definitely paying considerably more for Maleficent than you will for the princess dolls, but once you get your hands on this dress, you'll know why. The fabric is thick and soft, and has a texture similar to dupioni silk. It is beautifully sewn, and just does not look or feel like run-of-the-mill playline doll clothes.


The dress is fitted along Maleficent's body, with large cape-like sleeves that move wonderfully. I can imagine sleeves like these billowing beautifully in the wind! There is a small faux leather detail at the waist, which matches the faux leather collar.


In addition to the two large, leathery flaps that make up the collar, the neckline is trimmed with a faceted black bead.


But what really makes this dress special is the back. Look at that train! It's long and flowy, and the heaviness of the fabric makes it drape beautifully and easily behind her. Fierce, right?


It is made up of six separate pieces of fabric that all come together just below her waist, flowing out from there like a fan. The edge of the train is trimmed in a satiny fabric in a pattern that resembles spikes. I have never seen anything with this level of workmanship in a playline doll before, and it's just so impressive. It moves so wonderfully, I really had a lot of fun playing around with posing her and this dress!


Underneath that amazing dress, Maleficent has the basic Disney store body. I don't love this body, but I'm glad she has the hinged knees as opposed to the rubbery click knees. Even when using a stand, I find that the Disney dolls have a tendency to be kind of wobbly and to stand awkwardly, and Maleficent is so exception.


Part of her standing issued can probably be blamed on these boots. They look like they should be pretty supportive, but when I look closely at her when she's wearing them, one leg looks to be longer than the other. Without the boots her legs are the same, so I'm not sure what's going on, but it's worth noting. The boots themselves are simple black boots with heels, and no real design to them. With the amount of work that obviously went into the dress it's a bit odd that the boots are so simple, but at the same time, you can't really see them, so it's not really a complaint.


Unfortunately, the arm warmers Maleficent was wearing did leave stains on her hands and forearms, despite the plastic that had been wrapped around her arms. I probably won't put the arm warmers back on, since I don't want these marks to get worse. She does also have a black painted ring on her right index finger.


Around her neck, Maleficent is wearing a faux leather choker, with a point on either side.


Finally, Maleficent comes with a staff. It's made to look like twisted wood, topped with an egg-shaped orb that looks like stained glass or some kind of mystical, colour-shifting glass. She can't hold it on her own, but a rubber band wrapped around her hand works nicely!


Back in her clothes, I had a lot of fun playing around with posing Maleficent, though her pale skin and black clothing did give my lighting set-up a challenge!



She's just so dramatic from the back! I also love her face in profile, it's maybe even more striking this way. I just love that train so much, I can't get over it.


I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd go with her when she beckoned...


I had some fun playing around with shadows and different lighting set-ups with Maleficent too. It makes her looks even more dramatic I think, I love seeing the shadow of her horns.


It's beautiful and menacing, all at once, isn't it?


And that is the Disney Store's Maleficent doll! Overall, I really do think she's incredible. However, as much as I like her and the quality of her face and her outfit, I'm not overly enthused at paying $40 for a doll from the Disney Store. I hope that this doesn't mark the beginning of a new trend, and the dolls for this movie are more expensive because they are aimed at an older collector. If this particular Maleficent is too rich for your blood, there's another version (actually two versions) being made by Jakks Pacific, for a much lower price point. I haven't seen that one in person yet, but if you're interested, The Toy Box Philosopher did a great comparison review of that one and the Disney Store doll! You should check it out, her blog is one of my favourites.

While I don't think I need the Jakks Pacific version of the doll I have here, known as Dark Beauty, there is another version called Royal Coronation who is pretty stunning.


Those wings, right? She might be worth getting, but we shall see!


Are you planning on seeing the new Maleficent movie, or picking up a version of Maleficent? I know that I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie, and I'm hoping to go this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment